|| MERROW RESIDENTS' ASSOCIATION
your community voice
Clandon Park Gates
From British Listed Buildings web site
Date Listed: 14 June 1967
English Heritage Building ID: 288780
Gates early C18, contemporary with Clandon Park House. Lodges 1776 by Capability Brown.
Lodges: Stucco under hipped slate roofs with deep eaves. Central wooden lantern, blocked, to each. Single storey with attics. Square with rusticated angle piers on ground floor,plat band over ground floor and arched recess panel to each side.
One sash window, 12-panes, to street front of each lodge. Lunette window to left hand return front of right hand lodge and right hand return front of left hand lodge, over 6 panel doors. Two 3-light casements in spandrels of arches.
Gates between: Originally across the forecourt of the Old House, moved by Brown.
Wrought iron with gilt decoration. Double gate under crested overthrow and between open standards and pilasters with Acanthus capitals. Central, arched gates with flower and scroll decoration.
Coat of arms with crown/coronet over.
They are situated at the end of a very attractive row of trees running from Clandon House to the A246, adjacent to the roundabout near Merrow.
Black & White Images courtesy Francis Frith.