The Victory Oak
“Planted in November 1919 to mark
the end of The Great War in
which 40 young men from Merrow
gave their lives.”
At the Northern end of Old Merrow Street stands “The Victory Oak”.
The plaque was presented by the MRA on 25 May 1988 when it was unveiled by then Mayor, Elizabeth Cobbett.
It was fashioned by a local craftsman, Mr Gaff who worked on it as a labour of love.
The original had disappeared many years previously.
(Photos 04 Aug 2014)